A sore throat has me blogging instead of vlogging today, but rest assured (or be very afraid), I’ll be back on camera soon. Women’s Week is coming up and I expect to have many video blogs of victims, uh, authors, telling you about their work.
In the meantime, I’m going into lockdown for the next two weeks to finish up Switchblade, the next installment in the Luca Bennett mystery series. I have many loose ends to tie up and characters to connect and, like every time before, it’s a huge challenge to get to THE END. But I got a taste this week of another big challenge: cover design.
Sheri designs most of the covers for Bold Strokes Books and she’s designed all of mine. I think they are all fantastic. For Switchblade, I some very specific ideas, but finding the right stock images was like looking for a needle in a haystack. Because I knew exactly what I was looking for, I went to the stock sites myself and spent hours going through the thousands of images. Frankly, I don’t know how Sheri does it. If I were paid to design my own covers, I’d probably make about one cent per hour based on how much time I spent looking for that perfect image. Plus, I’m no graphic designer, so I’d probably make a mess of putting all the elements together for one cover, let alone designing several drafts. But, I do know what I like and when Sheri took the one image I found and did her graphic design magic, it was perfect:
Now, that’s just the kick in the pants I need to finish this story.